Sunshine Association History
In 1936, Sister Dora Baudinet (a school nurse) and Miss Margaret Reid (an infant's school headmistress) conceived the idea of establishing a holiday camp in Tasmania along the lines of a similar camp they had seen in New Zealand.
Sister Baudinet was the driving force behind fundraising and furthering government and community interest in the project. Sister Baudinet died in 1945 leaving every penny and all her possessions (including 10 acres of land at Howrah) to the project.
The Tasmanian Sunshine Centre was built on the bequeathed land in 1951. The home quickly proved its value in providing much needed holidays and respite care for children from throughout the state.
The Centre operated successfully for over 24 years, receiving support from schools and the Tasmanian Teachers Federation until rising costs caused it to close in February 1976. The Clarence Lions Club, believing in the community need for the care provided by the Centre, undertook to finance the Association's shortfall for a period of two years. Accordingly the Centre reopened in 1976. The support continued until 1980 when continuing cost increases brought about its final closure.
In 1985, the Centre was sold to the Clarence Council for development for community use, the money received being invested by the Tasmanian Sunshine Association Inc. to continue to provide funds for "...the health, happiness and general welfare of less privileged children in Tasmania."
To promote closer communication between the Association and the community, three regional committees have been formed. These committees receive funding from interest generated by the Tasmanian Sunshine Association funds managed by the Tasmanian Lions Foundation. To help meet the ever increasing requests for assistance, additional funding may be sought from local community groups etc. by the regional committees..